99% of our students achieved the Level 3 threshold (2 A*-E or more), with 80% of students achieving grades A*-C, and 99% achieving grades A*-E. An impressive 24 A* grades were achieved and A*-A grades were excellent at 74.
There were some wonderful performances across a range of subjects. 50% of Art students, 47.8% of Business students, 35.5% of Welsh Baccalaureate students, 33.3% of Biology students, 32% of English Students, and 30% of Media students achieved either an A* or an A grade this year – wow! Computer science, History and Further Maths were also celebrating this morning as 100% of students achieved A*-C grades – excellent work. Our BTEC students also achieved great success with a high number of students achieving the very top grades in Public Services, Sport, ICT and Health & Social care.
There were some amazing individual performances this year. Kia Hancock achieved one A* grade and three A grades and will be studying Sociology at Cardiff University in September, her passion for Sociology helping to secure her an A* in that subject. Head Girl Morgan Slader was also celebrating an excellent set of results this morning, achieving one A* and two A grades in her A Level subjects. Morgan will head to Cardiff University to study Education and hopes to pursue a career in teaching. Eugene Vatsaloo achieved exceptional results in the Sciences, achieving an A* grade in Biology and an A grade in Chemistry. Eugene will be studying Medicine at Cardiff University.
Some other top performers include:
- Ellie Bernard, who achieved three As and a B and will study Television and Film Set Design at USW
- Lauren Humphrey, who achieved two A*s, an A and a B and will study Documentary Photography at USW
- Bethany Davies who achieved an A* and three B grades and will study Law at Cardiff University
- Molly Ellis, who achieved A*, A, B, C and will study History at Cardiff University
- Lowri Evans, who achieved A, A, B, C and will study Nursing (Mental Health) at Cardiff University
- Daniel Hopkins, who achieved A*, A, C and will read English Literature at Cardiff University
- Danielle Jones Terry, who achieved A, A, B, B and will study Law at Cardiff University
- Charlotte Mason, who achieved A*, A, B, C and will study adult nursing at Cardiff University
- Ellie Owen, who achieved A*, A, A and will study Mathematics at Bristol University
- Bethan Smart, who achieved A*, A*, B, B, C and will study Law at Sussex University
- Megan Smith, who achieved A, A, B, B
- Rhian Hares, who achieved A, A, A
- Caitlin Thomas, who achieved A*, A, A, B and will study law at Swansea University
- Thomas Bray, who achieved two A*s and a C and will study Public Services at USW.
Our AS results were also excellent with many students achieving the top grades in their chosen subjects. Our top performers were:
- James Evans with four A grades
- Harry Kenealy with three As and a B
- Ellie Rossiter with three A grades
- Bailey James with A, A, B
- Caitlin Richards with A, A, B
- Jake Rees with A, A, C, C
- Mikaeli Thomas with A, A, B, C
- Tarnia Baryana with two A grades.
Many of these students have been part of the Seren Network this year and have had the opportunity to attend subject masterclasses which have fuelled their determination to excel – and those results are certainly proof of that determination!
Headteacher, Heather Nicholas, had this to say: “Our aim is to ensure that every single one of our fabulous students are able to take their ambitious next steps in life. The successes that we see today are a credit to our young people, their families and the staff who work so hard to give them the best opportunity to succeed. We are very proud of the students and staff of Tonyrefail Community School.”